DNA Data Storage: Recent Industrial Trends You Need to Know
So far, the gap has been found within the data storage looming: the world is producing excessive data to keep up with the record. Though, due to occurred gap, it is expected that by the year 2022, the collected data might not get stored. However, at a similar time, many advancements in the revolutionary DNA have occurred through making such technologies quicker and low-cost.
However, the junction of such components drives the concentration within the DNA storage. Meanwhile, the DNA has inherent benefits as a media of storage that counts on tremendously huge storage density, affluence of continuing storage, less or zero risk of uselessness. While the main bottlenecks count on the cost of storage, schemes of coding, and instant access to and reading of the stored information.
There are many things which can be performed in the meantime and thus, has been developed accordingly. However, one of the renowned professors of Medicine observed that 44 trillion gigabytes of data were collected in the year 2020. Though at this extent, more is measured as better and this practically indicates that there is a big amount of information is required to be stored, managed and is being hypothetically examined. Though, if focused on the supply of recent microchips, this quantity of information outstrips the delivery that can be generated apparently, based on microchip-grade silicon. Hence, this indicates the possible dilemma for sustaining humanity’s record.
The information storage of DNA is the procedure of indoctrination and decoding binary information to and from the produced strands of DNA and RNA. Although, it has a probability to exponentially increase the information storage capabilities and can also theoretically be conserved indeterminately. As of this writing, the huge cost and slow read and write times are putting this from the conventional. But, like other information storage hurdles in previous times, DNA storage will shape into a cheaper, smarter, and faster way.
Trends & Projections of DNA Data Storage
- The entire world market was around $36.4 million in the year 2020 and is tend to grow at a compound of yearly growth ratio (CAGR) of 70.6% and is expected to reach a predicted market size of $525.3 million by the end of the year 2024.
- The data storage market of DNA can be segmented through the synthesis of DNA technologically active: based on chemical (phosphoramidite) and enzymatic.
- The chemical, phosphoramidite-based synthesis market was estimated with a ratio of $28.4 million in the year 2020 and is predicted to grow at a CAGR of 68% to meet the round figure of $380.3 million in the start of the year 2025.
- The synthesis market, based on enzymes was likely to be $8 million in the year 2020 and it is now growing at a CAGR of 78.5% to reach a predicted worth of $145 million by the year 2025.
- The primary end-users for DNA data storage systems within the year 2020 are government/defence with various research projects and prototyping.